CyberTrust Massachusetts is a non-profit committed to growing and diversifying the cyber workforce, creating new and innovative opportunities for education and employment, and hardening the security posture of under-resourced local entities. Leveraging state and federal startup funding, CyberTrust enhances cyber education programs with hands-on, experiential learning, both through our state-of-the-art cyber range and by placing students in a live security operations center (SOC) that serves local governments, nonprofits and small businesses. To collaborate on this ambitious agenda, CyberTrust is forming a consortium of committed companies and colleges—anchored in community colleges and state universities, where programs can best reach underrepresented groups. By partnering together, we can ensure that any student interested in cybersecurity has options towards a high-wage job with pathways for growth, and that any local government has access to affordable and effective cybersecurity services.
Security Operations Center Manager
Over the next several months, CyberTrust will begin to serve local governments with a variety of Advisory and Operational cybersecurity services to improve their cyber posture and prepare them for onboarding into a SOC. Operational services will include such things as Endpoint monitoring, managed detection and response, vulnerability management and email and web security. Starting in January 2024, they will be delivered from an interim SOC hosted at Bridgewater State University.
With CyberTrust’s dual mission of educating the next generation of cyber talent and serving under-resourced local entities, all services will be delivered with a combination of teams of students, professional staff and contracted managed security service providers or consultants.
Our new Security Operations Center Manager will be responsible for defining the Operational service offerings, selecting vendors, assembling the operational teams and successfully delivering the services.
This role is located in Massachusetts, with a primary workplace in the Bridgewater State University SOC and some remote work.
- In collaboration with the CyberTrust CEO and other stakeholders, set the strategy for CyberTrust SOC services offerings and phased introduction.
- Select, deploy and maintain a cost-effective set of SOC tools and services
- Integrate business-hours services from SOC team with 24/7 MDR service providers.
- Respond to occasional incident/event escalations off hours.
- Establish strong communication protocols with customers on vulnerability management, incident reporting and response.
- Coordinate the response to customer security incidents, including containment, investigation, and resolution.
- Define and negotiate quality of service measures with customers, and establish corresponding accountability among CyberTrust and partners.
- Lead a hybrid team of professional and college student analysts and specialists.
- Develop and organize a hiring and training model for the part-time student workforce (numbering up to 20 in a semester) and supporting staff to maximize student learning while serving a
- productive role on the operations team.
- Establish and enforce cybersecurity policies, standards, and procedures.
- Regularly review and update security policies to align with industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest cybersecurity threats, vulnerabilities, and trends.
Desired experience and qualifications:
- 10 years cyber operations work experience (must have)
- Experience managing operations in a SOC (must have)
- Deep knowledge of cyber defense, threats, tools and technology (must have)
- Project or team leadership (must have)
- BS/BA degree in a cyber-related discipline, or equivalent technical job experience
- Customer focused
- Risk-taker; comfortable working without a playbook
- Mission driven—motivated to create positive change
- Passionate about advancing diversity, equity and inclusion
- “Cyber geek”—deep interest and curiosity about the field
- Strong collaborator and communicator
- Learning and growth mindset
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.